Monday, October 6, 2008

Toledo-stravaganza

So word trickles my way that my little sis is being recognized for some award from her alma mater, University of Toledo. I don't even think she was the one who originally mentioned it, rather my parents. When we discussed, she blew it off as no big deal and she didn't know any of the details. I put it in the calendar just in case.

I was able to duck out of work early on Friday and head over to T-town. Hubby was working in Vegas for a long weekend, so Stella and I packed up for a mini-road trip. There was a dinner on Friday night and then a parade and a football game following. No big deal says sis.

UT would have us thinking otherwise shortly...

We enter the ballroom Friday night and there are at least 500 people in the room (mom counted). The individual colleges recognize people of interest, approx 25 of them, all leading up to the three highest awards of the evening -- sister being one of them! She was recognized as "Outstanding Alumni of the Year" for her work in community service.

They put together an amazing video (we all cried), highlighting her work for the Toledo Young Professionals organization, American Cancer Society, the Ryan Serber Run, her March of Dimes and Leukemia Society work to name just a few! (Where does she get the time??) And then she goes on stage and delivers an amazing acceptance speech in front of all these people. Totally, completely amazing and impressive.

Saturday, while she is still unclear on details (and while I'd like to tease otherwise, she is so modest, I honestly believe she didn't pay attention to the details b/c she thought it wasn't a big deal), we find ourselves in our own car of the Homecoming parade!

It was SO MUCH FUN!

Her friend drove us, the car had a big picture of sis and her title on the side, and we threw candy to onlookers all around town. Some of us actually aimed and threw candy AT people, not me. Sister waved like a beauty queen and of course dozens of her friends lined the route to cheer her on.

AND THEN, we were invited to the President's Suite to watch the football game where my sis was recognized on the field during half time!

Can you believe this? I had no idea the magnitude of this award. Everyone wanted to meet her, congratulate her. It was so fun to be there!!

A seriously awesome award to a seriously amazing lady (and kick ass sister too).

Congrats to you and thanks for inviting me to celebrate with you!!

No comments: