Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Finding Balance

Bisco. Ethiopian food. My bed.

I’m losing my balance. Or rather my distorted view of balance.

I’ve logged approximately 25K miles with American since Labor Day with at least another 2 flights booked by early Nov (in case you’re wondering, that is four trips to Miami and one trip to LA to date) . I’ve been drowning at work for weeks with no real end in sight. I am behind on my real life responsibilities and I’m really tired.

This happens. Things ebb and flow and I’m in a really deep state of flow I guess. Something needs to give because I can’t keep up the pace.

I’m sitting on a flight home from Miami (shocker) and found an article in American Way about the power of positive thinking. Of course I’m not even supposed to be reading this mag, rather reviewing the three decks sitting in my inbox, but my brain needs a minute to relax so I’m allowing it.

In reading the article, it suggests noting three items your grateful for at the end of each day. It strikes me that incorporating this into my routine couldn’t hurt. I could use a little dose of positive and this doesn’t seem like too much to add to my already overloaded plate.

For the short term at least, I’ll include them at the top as a reminder for you to do the same. I won’t go into what they mean, though I will tell you that Bisco (the cat) somehow slept outside on accident last night and I was pretty surprised to see her meowing on the deck this morning when I left for the airport.

In making the effort to do the list I already feel better.

Or perhaps it was the 30 minutes I allowed myself to break away from Outlook?

Alas the break is over. Whatever doesn’t get done tonight will just be waiting tomorrow with 10 more things piled on top.

No comments: