Friday, October 24, 2008

As a follow up to my recent post on "gear" - I did recently buy a new item that has proven to be remarkably handy and I never would have known it existed without a tip from a fellow mom/runner.

Over marathon weekend my sis' s-i-l mentioned she ran into her third trimester using a running belt/support band.

This is safe, by the way, running that is. For those of you concerned. I've slowed down my overall pace, never run more than 4-5 miles a day and have doctor's clearance to log 14 miles a week. Running is what I do (besides eating) so I'd like to try to keep it up as long as possible.

I'm anticipating the hateful stares at the gym will become more uncomfortable before the baby itself. I promise though, it is safe. Natalie Morales (Today Show) ran the day before her baby was born. I just read about it in a pregnancy mag.

Anyway, I went to Running Away to see if they had anything like that. God bless 'em, three dudes working behind the counter and I dared to even ask the question. The best part is, while they didn't carry the band themselves, one of guys actually called his wife to ask her where she got hers. Pea in the Pod. Super.

While I had no idea that I needed it, and wasn't experiencing any sort of discomfort, it really was amazing the difference it made. It wraps around the belly, tightens in a couple place (though not like the crazy-ass contraption advertised in some of the mags), and viola! Support. I'll be a running fool until March!

See you on the treadmill (or outside as long as possible)!

No comments: