Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Schwa, schummy

If you talk to me about Chicago restuarants for more than 5 minutes, inevitably Schwa will come up. It is my favorite restaurant in the city. Maybe favorite ever.

Short story is that the chef has rediculous credentials, has worked for some of the most amazing world-reknowned professionals in the world, and opened this tiny dive of a space with about 15 tables on Ashland Ave. It is BYO. The chef and his 3-4 other sous chefs are the servers. They play alternative music in the kitchen loud enough to penetrate the dining room. The bathroom is in next to the refrigerator. There are two prefix menu options, three courses and nine.

And the food is to. die. for.

We're lucky enough to have been several times. It is impossible to get in to. On a whim I called a few weeks ago, got someone live on the phone (they typically have an answering machine and weeks can go by without a call back), and booked Tuesday night.

I didn't remember to start taking pictures until about half way through, my apologies. I just get so over stimluated when I get there. We always do the long menu, considered the short based on school night and lack of time for a 3-hour dinner. They convinced us to do the long, with expedited service. It was undescribably good. A few details below.

Call them now. And keep calling until you get someone. The food, have I mentioned the food? But it is also such a great vibe. Just a bunch of dudes, who love what they do, and the food speaks for itself. It is so creative, so unthinkable. The combinations of flavors. I wish I could do it justice with words but nothing can do it justice.

And BYO makes it accessible to the masses in my opinion.


Quail egg ravioli - to be eaten in one delicious, amazing bite. It's never on the menu, but always just shows up as part of the coursing. Previously the best thing I had ever put in my mouth.... until this little ditty showed up:
I don't even remember the ingredients of this but it was a miniature, constructed version of their beer cheese soup. It was like a pretzel roll, with big chunks of sea salt, an amazing cheese and somehow the foam made the whole thing orgasmic.

Sweetbreads. Yes, I know. But they were served with corn (my favorite food), popcorn and dollups of heaven. Out of this world.



This is tiger fish, with a watermelon reduction and some other forgotten amazing details.



Pork, zucchini ribbons, garlic and borage (I have no idea what borage is but it was delicious).

Not featured, peeky toe crab course, suncoke soup, and maki. OH, and dessert. Which was based off of peanut butter and jelly but was a concord grape soup, peanut butter shavings, oh my.
Again, this review is a sad state of retelling. Go. Now.

No comments: