Saturday, January 24, 2009

Breastfeeding is Easy!

I'll revisit the disclaimer I sent out earlier in the pregnancy - something about this whole experience makes ones internal appropriateness filter shift to a place where it seems totally natural to ask a stranger if she breastfed, how it went for her, and if it hurt. And details, no matter how personal, seem OK to share.

If this level of information offends you or makes you feel uncomfortable, perhaps you should skip this post and come back next time?

I went to my first Northwestern class a couple weeks ago - Breastfeeding. The hospital offers hundreds of different classes for the expecting parents. Three were recommended to me by several reliable sources so those are the ones I'm doing: Breastfeeding, Great Expectations and Infant Safety/CPR.

One of the gals in my pilates class indicated she made her husband go to bf but that he was the minority. Hubby asked for a pass and I didn't really care so I said fine. He is going to the others, and doesn't have any breasts so what good was he really going to do there?

(As it happened, of the 40 people in the room, I was one of only two with no husband which left me feeling slightly single-motherish but whatever.)

And guess what? Breastfeeding is EASY! Yes, say it with me folks - Breastfeeding is EASY! Forget what your best friends say about raw skin, milk not coming in, painful swelling, walking around naked to air out her boobs. She is lying to you. It is an easy and natural process.

In fact, they showed a video of a woman in 1979, from England, who had no trouble with the process what so ever! Her baby took right to the breast. On the second day after she was born. With a lactation consultant manhandling her breasts and child throughout the process. And with only 3-4 de/relatchings before they really got things flowing.

Breastfeeding is EASY!

Did I mention the importance of detaching the latch? Ouch, won't even go there but hoping I never forget this lesson in the heat of the moment.

Of course, I'm being a bit sarcastic here. From what I've heard from others , I think our instructor was actually pretty cool and relaxed. She acknowledged the whole thing takes a little getting used to - which accurately reflects what I've heard from friends' experiences though in much less graphic language. And she did provide pretty detailed instructions as to how to go about the whole thing.

I have been practicing my football hold and also the C-and U-expression press. I've been keeping a watchful eye on cabbage sales at the grocery store so I can cover myself in leaves when I'm tender and sore :)

In all seriousness, I plan to do everything in my power to breastfeed. Most obviously it is best for babes. But selfishly it is free and helps you get back into shape. What is not to love? Well I've heard it is pretty tough in the beginning. But I've been gathering as much information as possible so I'm prepared for the worst and hopefully delighted by how easy it turns out to be.

Much like pregnancy itself where you hear of all the horrible aches and pains, sickness and fatigue. I've managed to avoid most of that stuff, or at least not allow the discomforts to overshadow the enormity of it all. Whats a little heartburn compared to the feelings of the baby rolling around in there?

Hopefully the same willl go for bf, but just in case, I'm stocking up on cabbage.

No comments: