Sunday, January 25, 2009

6+ weeks and counting

Suddenly it seems like time is rushing at us - this Thursday will mark 34 weeks, just six more to the estimated finish line. To be clear, I'm absolutely counting on going late. It serves my maternity leave better to be off further into the summer. And of course statistically speaking the first baby is usually late.

All that said, after 37 weeks anything is possible. Contractions start - practice for the big day. And the baby is officially 'cooked' so no worries there . So while best laid plans indicate I still have a ways to go, suddenly we're left preparing 'just in case.'

And that is when I realized, we're completely unprepared. Sure we have a car seat to get the little guy home from the hospital but what then? No bottles, bassinette, wipes, diapers, Desitin, nothing. And with all we learned about labor during our Great Expectations class yesterday, I'm longingly looking back at 26 weeks and wondering how we got here so fast and if it's possible to turn this pineapple back into a lentil!

It's time to get focused. Medical paperwork finalized this week. Trip to Babies R Us for necessary boring items that will not be purchased as gifts for final shower. Must organize downstairs and start doing some laundry. Oh, a perhaps we should revisit a few potential names?

Hopefully I'll be looking back on this post on March 16, laughing (or crying) over my eagerness. If not, at least I'll be a bit better prepared.

No comments: