Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Other Love of My Life - Pilates

I have said it before but I feel the need to repeat this post. I love pilates.

Like 'you complete me' love pilates.

It's spiritual for me. It just feels so good.

I started going periodically again during pregnancy but really got back into it once I was cleared to work out. In part it is because I'm a terrible stretcher (as in I never stretch) and given all the running I do, that sucks.

So pilates forces me to elongate. Pull out my legs and rehab them a bit from the running.

But there are also so many important things you practice in class that should be carried out and practiced all day long. Your posture, your breathing, engaging your core.

And when I remember, and do it, ahhh I can feel a difference immediately.

Not to mention, the teachers at the studio I go to (Frog Temple in Bucktown) are awesome. They understand the body, especially a post baby body, and help me focus on my core and all the stuff that is currently out of whack.

I've been going a couple times a week and have decided to treat myself to a few private lessons (with Randi who rocks, especially if you've had a kid b/c she just did too and totally gets it) and hope to continue to make time for it once I go back to work b/c every time I go it sets my whole day off better.

No comments: