Thursday, September 23, 2010

Costume Update

So I got my $5 back for the aforementioned pumpkin pacifier. And actually a much more valuable lesson in customer service that I look forward to sharing with my clients in the future.

As much as it pains you (client, company, customer service rep), you don't need to get the last word in, or reiterate your point. My buddy handling my case opened with a paragraph on the website policy, along with a history of how things with my order went down, all before saying "as a one time courtesy, we are refunding you for the Little Pumpkin Pacifier."

Frankly I would have been happier with that one line alone.

One of my colleagues always says 'less is more,' when dealing with media statements and consumer responses and this email really drove that point home to me. Nice that they gave me the credit, definitely, but to go the extra length to explain why I was still in the wrong, and that they were doing me a favor, not really necessary.

It's a good lesson to clients who are stuck on including the corporate language, or their point of view. The consumer just wants to hear their issue has been resolved to their liking. So if that is the course of action, you/company has decided on, just let them have it and be done.

Speaking of being done, I'm getting off my soapbox on this issue and will carry on with Halloween now.

Wait until you see the adorable costume...a LION!

Only problem is Ben refuses to put the head on. Naturally, I've been wearing it around the house myself trying to make it look more appealing. So far he hasn't taken the bait, though Stella is quite curious as to what's going on.

No comments: