Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chihuly exhibit



Not sure I've ever mentioned before but I'm a huge fan of Chihuly...the glass artist. His work is amazing, the size and scale of which really needs to be experienced in person to appreciate it. I think my first introduction to him was in Vegas, he did the ceiling in the Bellagio.

When he did an installation at Garfield Park in Chicago a few years ago, I took my parents who happened to be in town at the same time. It was something I'll never forget.

The Naples Art Museum has a few permanent pieces that I've always meant to go see, but never made the time. But this month there was a show featuring countless more pieces. In fact, Chihuly himself was in town a couple weeks ago and my MIL went to hear him speak, said it was fascinating.

Anyway, we managed to squeeze in a trip while down there and I'm so glad we did. It was really amazing, many enormous bowl-in-bowl pieces (my name, surely not correct) that I love. Silver glasswork I've never seen before, his sea foam collection which I love, and many more pieces that I didn't care for but interesting to see none-the-less.

The permanent fixtures though, were by far the standouts. An enormous, elaborate orange 'chandelier,' a blue icile, and a shell ceiling. Photos aren't allowed, but I stile this one with my cell phone. Not great but gives you a small sense of how awesome it is.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bayjb said...

There is a massive Chihuly exhibit in the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Bellagio hotel in Vegas. I am amazed by his work. So gorgeous