Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Life As We Used to Know It?

I mentioned that we've started putting Ben down a little earlier in the evening.

Ultimately I'm paving the way for an established schedule before I go back to work - so he goes down at the same time every night and wakes with me in the morning. The added benefit to the earlier bedtime is that it opens the door to reclaiming a little bit of life as we once knew it.

The weather this weekend was gorgeous and we hosted our first BBQ. As many of you know, we live for the summer - with countless nights on the back deck, drinking wine, listening to music, cooking out and hanging with friends. We never tire of it. On Saturday, I prepared dinner early and when everyone arrived they hung out with the little guy while I wrapped things up. I fed him and put him to sleep.

When I came downstairs, it was like stepping into our old life - friends, food and fun (even a play date for Stella). It felt so good to reclaim a little bit of that freedom. Knowing Ben was upstairs, safe with us, and at the same time being able to enjoy a night 'out.'

Or maybe it is just the joy of what is to come - more nights outside, planting the garden, playing in the yard, napping in the hammock. Is there anything better than summer?

Maybe summer with Ben :)

No comments: