Monday, April 6, 2009

Do all babies nap?

I am wondering if all babies nap, because mine doesn't seem to. Everything I've read indicates babies should be sleeping an average of 16-22 hours a day. The sleeping helps them with all that they need right now: sleep begets more sleep; it helps with cognitive development; it stimulates them to be more alert when they are awake; it curbs fussiness; overall pretty important part of their little lives.

Yet, if we don't take a long drive or go for a walk in the sling (both lull him to sleep), Ben will go the entire day without one. Of course I'm happy to do both of these to get him a nap, but long term we need some additional solutions. I literally did the math and he is probably sleeping a total of 9 hours a day, way to little right?

And naturally I think he seems overtired as a result. Try as I might though, I can't get him to nap. I read Babywise yesterday (seriously read the whole book while holding Ben in the other arm walking around the house, and feeding him). The theory here is feed/wake/sleep and they advocate a little "crying it out."

This is in direct conflict with everything else I've read to date (crying it out), but I'm giving it a whirl b/c others have recommended it and its something new.

We tried our first session yesterday, boy its brutal. It is heartbreaking listening to them cry. And it didn't work. In fact it lead to a whole night of fussy/hysterical behavior from 4-10pm. They say babies are typically pretty fussy at the end of the day so I'm calling it a wash and starting fresh today.

We failed our first nap attempt and made it to the second feeding before attempting again. He is currently downstairs in his crib (the only sleep zone he hasn't outright rejected yet), and while not crying I can't tell if he is sleeping. The monitor is set up so I can see him moving but can't see his eyes. I'll go peek when I'm done writing this.

While I started this quest for naps solely with his well being in mind, I've since thought of several selfish benefits to getting us on a schedule. If I could get him to go down for naps on a somewhat consistent basis, I could plan my day, walk the dog, go for a run, do things around the house (with both hands).

And I'm guessing it we could get the little guy some sleep, it might help reduce some of his fussiness throughout the rest of the day. Good news is he has been super sweet the last few days (I swear he hugs back when I hold him now), so I'm back in the right frame of mind to deal with a few failures along the way.

Naps and latching (more on this later) are my big goals this week.

For my veteran mom readers, I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you may have. We have a doctor's appointment next Monday and of course I'll ask there too if I make it that long without calling.

Photos to come later today of Big Ben - today is his one month birthday (he no longer fits into his newborn onsies!).

No comments: