Sunday, September 14, 2008

The other little wrinkle in my consistency of posts is that I've picked up reading again. Apparently I can't walk and chew gum very successfully because the reading has been all consuming. It started, I believe, on my way down to Miami a couple weeks ago. I was looking for a diversion to keep my mind off the real purpose of the visit (staff thing), so I bought a book.

And then proceeded to stay inside all of Labor Day weekend reading it (In the Woods, if you're interested). To follow, a colleague turned me on to the new vampire series, and I plowed through Twilight this weekend and moved on to New Moon on our way home from Toledo.

So while I had grand plans of typing away my deepest thoughts all weekend long in the car, instead I was reading.

That and we got an extremely late start on Saturday which made me mad, so all I could do was read. Torrents of rain came down Friday night and all morning Saturday, flooding at both our house and Winona. Hubby spent lots of time cleaning drains and gutters, time well spent, but we were super late hitting the road.

Long story long, we made it to Toledo in time for the festivities associated with the Ryan Serber Classic - the annual 8K run sis and Brad organize in Ryan's memory. Brad hosted a big spaghetti dinner at his house, tons of people and a great time. We all anxiously speculated what race day would hold in terms of weather since it been raining in the midwest for days with no signs of stopping. The race was anticipated to be its biggest ever but much of that depended on the weather. Who wants to run in the rain?

We woke this morning to a sunny day. I kid you not. Sun. We had braved the worst rain storm in recent memory to get from Chi to Toledo and when we got up there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Everyone was there, my p's, the inlaws (ps and sisters), aunts and uncles, it was wonderful. In fact, it was HOT?! Ryan was undoubtably with us today, smiling upon us with a blessing of good weather. Thanks buddy - we'd have rather had you with us but definitely appreciate the great day. xoxo

No comments: