Friday, June 5, 2009

Mother of All Relay Races

Years ago I heard about Hood to Coast, the "Mother of all Relay" races from a fellow runner.

Teams run 195 miles from the top of Mt. Hood (OR) to the coastal town of Seaside. It takes place over 36 hrs (I think), involves two vans, 12 runners and a heck of a lot of coordination.

It is reportedly one of the hardest races to get into b/c the field is limited and if your team ran the previous year you have first right of refusal. I put it on my list immediately and have talked about it with anyone who will listen for the last 10 years.

Somehow, I'm not even really sure how at this point, we got in the race this year. We received word late last fall and it seemed perfect. It would scare me into getting back into shape post baby and be the "forced" first trip away from Ben. Left to my own devices after he was born, I knew it would be 2020 before I willingly left the little guy.

While medically cleared to work out in late April, I quickly realized having permission to run and time to run are two different things entirely. Slowly, I am working running back into my regular routine. And the good news is, with little certainly on when I'll get my next run in, I make the most of every outing. No more slacking, skipping the extra mile, etc.

I downloaded the training manual this week and need to get busy figuring out how to participate and not embarrass myself and my team. Did I mention people running this race (that I've talked to anyway) are typically logging a 6:30 per mile pace? That isn't going to be me.

I'm pretty excited. It's in August, so there is plenty of time to train (famous last words). And I'm going to do this in place of the marathon this year. Hubby, sis, Gaston and three other Chicagoans make up our van. The rest of the team are friends of friends.

Did I mention the race starts at the top of Mt. Hood? At the lodge where the Shining was filmed. And you basically run up and down hills the whole way, beginning at an elevation of 6000 feet?

Crazy by all accounts.

No comments: