Wednesday, August 19, 2009

HTC - 10 days out

You may recall my previous post on Hood To Coast, now just 10 days out. A race I've always wanted to do and the perfect motivation for getting back in shape.

With the start line looming I find myself pondering the logic of this commitment. Have I been running? Yes. Have I adequately trained for this race? Absolutely not. Perhaps a 10K would have been a more appropriate goal, especially given the reality of only having 45 min tops (at 5:30am) to squeeze in a daily run.

We pulled out the course map Sunday night and found ourselves in hysterics over how unprepared we will be. To shed some light on the situation, I've included the elevation chart below for my second of three legs here:


Would there have been any way to train for this nearly six mile, 1300 foot ascent in Chicago? Unlikely. My run on Monday night included a couple bridges in the hopes that it will give me a little extra confidence when I'm running up this hill (would 'mountain' be more appropriate?). In the middle of the night (remember this is a relay over 36 hours). Course notes on this portion are as follows: "No provisions available. Cell phone communication unlikely from legs #20-32. A bandana or scarf is recommended to ease breathing due to dust on gravel road."

I can only hope I find this as hysterical next Friday night when I'm gasping for air, begging my quads to deliver the performance of a lifetime, and wondering why I left my baby for this punishment.

Ah, the joys of running :)

1 comment:

Martin John Brown said...

i'm doing this one too! 1300 feet is a bit of an exaggeration since you start at 500. net it's only like 800. which should make it like a walk in the park. a very miserable dusty middle of the night park... but somehow i'm looking forward to it.