Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sweet, sunny Saturday!

Woke up early this moring and took Stella to the dog beach. Seeing her happy makes me happy. She ran all over the beach, went into the water on her own (remember she is afraid) and chased dogs in circles. We waded out beyond her comfort zone and she actually swam! Too deep to touch so she paddled along - very, very close to me. When she was a puppy we did this and she would swim up and try to hook her paws on my waist so she was taller and could walk on her hind legs. She tried the same again today but mostly did OK. She was afraid, the look her in eyes bordered on dog abuse, but she was totally afloat and lived to tell about it.

I dropped her off and Chris and I went for massages. Glorious. Came back home and worked in the yard for a bit. Garden is doing great. Spend a wonderful hour on the lounge chair reading and getting some sun.

AND - best of all - I bought a composter! Now what to do with it is another story but I'm learning how, see here. I've gathered all my recent weeds, tossed in the morning's coffee grinds and am doing a lot of reading on how to make this puppy work. N&P gave me tips during Jackfest. Of course they have manure, straw, tons of leaves, all the things the sites say are great. I have none of those things. I'm going to ask my guys at the Farmer's Market tomorrow if they will bring me manure from WI. Crazy but I'm serious.

My goal in '08 was to start recycling. This is selfish recycling because it will be great for the garden. Lots of pictures coming later of swimming Stella and garden growing tall. I'm off to read more about composting...

No comments: