Friday, June 27, 2008

Ok, made it to Friday night. Hooray. Huge day today, lots accomplished. I even squeezed in a trip to the vet. Make that two trips because the cats are so crazy they can't go at the same time because they completely work themselves up into a frenzy. Cats. So now I have to book back to back appointments, with a 10 minute window in between, to allow for the travel time to drop off one, scoop up the other.

So this morning I pull the cat carrier out of the garage (too horrifying for the cats to leave in the house) and literally grab the first cat I see to expedite the process - Fakker. She is usually the worst b/c she is afraid of everything in the world. She was sleeping and I caught her off guard. In she went, growling that fateful meow all the way to the vets' office. As it turns out, she was perfect. Absolutely perfect (in spite of what her file says - not sure exactly, but they eluded to how she was much better than what her chart says). We were in and out in 10 minutes.

Apparently Bisco and Stella were alerted of Fakker's curious absence, though she just moved upstairs from her permanent residence in the basement last month. They must have had a conference and determined she was at the vet and Bisco certainly wasn't going there next.

I opened the cat carrier gate, Fakker popped out and went along her merry way. I picked up Bisco with the same swift motion as earlier, and as leaned back to dunk her in the carrier she held out her front little paws on either side and blocked her entrance. Seriously. And then in a blink of an eye, all four legs were flailing, claws were out and a horrible growl came out of her tiny body. I dropped her, not before receiving a blood-drawing scratch to my forearm!

I considered abandoning the appointment all together, the only reason I didn't is because I hadn't paid yet. Crap. Ultimately Chris had to wrestle her down, you can't even image the scene, like taming a lion.

Long story longer, we got to the vet and I was too scared to even open the carrier, mostly because I was afraid she wouldn't get back in. Oh wait, forgot to mention that she was hissing and throwing herself against the walls of the carrier the whole way there. Awesome.

We were seen by a lovely vet who owes a cat herself, convinced me to take the top off of the carrier, and wasn't afraid. She also advised me to step back. She draped towels over Bisco, who continued with same spitting, hissing and growling, and gave her the shots. End of story.

This was all before 10am.

NOTE: No cats were hurt writing this blog.

No comments: