Monday, June 30, 2008

My husband collects T-shirts. 

Actually my husband collects a lot of things (guitars, electrical cords, old VCRs and DVD players, I could go on for quite a while here, but that is for another post). 

Over the years he has made a hobby of collecting T-shirts.

I can't really recall when it started, perhaps the first pig roast? Ok, he helped me remember - Grumpy Smurf. I saw it while shopping and it reminded me of him. He'll get that without offense. He wore it to the first pig roast and everyone loved it. 

The next year, he shopped for a shirt with the pig roast in mind (seen here). He wore it and everyone loved it. 

Then I found the "perfect shirt" during the offseason (at Kitson in LA, for those of you who will appreciate this), you see where this is going...

He's taken it upon himself to 'surprise and delight' friends, fellow vacationers, business colleagues, etc. via his T-shirt collection - pretty much anyone who spends time with him remarks on it. 

I'm actually quite found of the hobby. He's a pretty quiet guy. I love that he has embraced a way to communicate his sense of humor through a simple T-shirt. In fact as I write this, I realize it is just another brilliant execution of efficiency, he's continues to impress me. I also think he smiles on the inside when he wears them, which makes me smile (awww) .

The problem is, as with most collectors I'd guess, he is unable to throw things away. This point struck home today, though not for the first time, as I was putting away the laundry. 

There just isn't enough room for all the T-shirts. 

I have edited down the collection over the years while he was on the road (he knows this, though I'm almost never caught b/c I throw away things not worth missing). In general I think men collect T-shirts, so even before he officially took this hobby on, he was already stacking 60 shirts, easy. 

The oldest, though he contests this, is a "Mid-Summer's Night Classic" given to him by his brother from 1993. Is it necessary to hold on to this and keep in the regular rotation? 

I would argue no. 

But this shirt lays with the 'untouchables' (e.g. would immediately notice missing).  

So what do I do? We're out of room. I've offered real estate on my side of the closet but he has declined. I'm left to stuffing all the shirts into three cubbies. Yes, three cubbies, of our closet system dedicated to T-shirts and not enough. 

What to do? 

I'm looking for answers here. 


No comments: