Sunday, June 29, 2008

Isn't it ironic that all I do is complain about being busy (at least it seems that way to me), yet am immediately bored by relaxing? 

I don't sit still very well. 

This weekend was unique in that we had nothing planned and relatively few things to accomplish. So few in fact, that everything was pretty much wrapped up by yesterday afternoon. 

My fall-back when I run out of things to do on my list (I'm a huge list person, work and personal, I swear by them - mostly b/c I forget things but more on that later), I buy stuff.

Nothing about this coping mechanism is positive. Most things I buy when I'm looking to fill my time aren't things I need. Yet, it is the thing easiest to fall back on. 

Usually the purchase requires some sort of action - like the composter (let the record state, I did need a composter). I bought it, assembled, then researched compositing online. But once I'd gathered everything in the yard and kitchen that could be composted (I'll admit I also eyed other peoples' lawn clippings while walking the dog and considered taking them home with me, ultimately I resisted thank God), I was right back to where I started. Bored. 

I tried to take a nap today (I was tired by my lack of activity). I don't nap. It didn't work. 

We took Stella to the park for a bit and played frisbee, but it started to rain. 

I watched TV, Gossip Girls (as good as everyone says), but as quickly as the boredom-remedy came to me, the show was over. 

And now it is 6:30 and we're too unmotivated to even decided what to do for dinner.  

I find myself missing my dear friend "busy and over-committed" after just 24 hours of not running frantic from one thing to the next. Could the adrenalin rush and stress be addictive? I'd hate to think so but signs seem to be pointing to yes. 

Fortunately tomorrow I have a dentist appointment (root canal saga didn't make the blog but should have in retrospect) and the office is right next to Nordstroms. I need a b-day present for Quinn and Emily (both late in spite of being on "the list," I suck) and of course I need some new shoes. I have a dress that needs tailoring too, and I need a new bike lock. 

Phew, I'm stressed out just thinking about it :)

1 comment:

Bayjb said...

Good luck with the root canal tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts. I always have a hard time being "bored" after being so busy. I end up "relaxing" at home by actually multi-tasking on several projects. It's a sickness.