Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lett-us Begin



I started with the best intentions, I always do. I bought Grow Great Grub: Organic Food in Small Spaces, by You Grow Girl's Gayla Trail. I learned a lot too. Rotating crops, plants that do well together in shared spaces. But my goal was to PLAN THE PLOT BEFORE PURCHASING.

That is always my goal. Every spring. And every year I fail.

I simply can't control the urge to buy plants the instant they and I are in a store together. I went to Home Depot for compost. I didn't even make it through the second set of sliding glass doors. BLUEBERRIES! We eat blueberries by the pints. And asparagus?! (it takes years to really harvest by the way) And onions (clear sign of things deteriorating, we don't even really eat onions)...

Then I remembered lettuce, and immediately checked Gethsemane to see when it would arrive. And while I did consider plotting what was left of my space after planting all of the above, instead I darted out the door and completely lost control. Take a look...safe to say, if you'd like any fresh lettuce this summer let me know. I should have plenty.

Of course, it's even worse than I'll share here. There are countless other things that have made their way in, and we are still weeks away from tomatoes, the star of the show.

I'm going to have to get canisters.

Thankfully, there are lots of great tips for growing in canisters in my "Growing in Small Spaces" book...

No comments: