Tuesday, January 19, 2010

World Traveler

My little eater...boy does he make mealtime fun.

I've posted in the past about his passion for food in general, and what a treat he is to take to our favorite Mexican place. Not just because he flirts with all the waitresses and adores the attention, but also because he gets his own plate of guac, with rice, beans, meat and cheese to follow. And actually squeals with delight.

This weekend he tackled Chinese and Lebanese with the same enthusiasm. Real Chinese, like in Chinatown. There he tried fried rice, sweet and sour chicken, shrimp rice rolls, my favorite sesame balls, and even cuttle fish...that one presented some problems when we found pieces still in his mouth a half hour later while staring up at the Chinese lanterns in the gift shop across the way. But it didn't bother him a bit.

Some friends in the neighborhood had a baby recently and invited us over for a highly-anticipated Lebanese meal. Her mom is visiting FROM LEBANON, and prepared the most amazing meal for us (I adore Lebanese, and rarely find access to good stuff here -- sis often treats me with goodies from T-town where they have lots of great options). So last night he tried (forgive my butchered spelling please!) kibbi, tabouli, hummus, and a couple other delicious dishes I don't remember the names of.

It's hard to say what is most entertaining - his excitement over the various things that hit his tongue, or watching others watch him. Regardless, I love that he is such an easy eater and hope some of this sticks with him for the long haul...

No comments: